Chapter 61. School Districts
Subchapter FF. Commissioner's Rules Concerning High School Diplomas for Certain Veterans

61.1061. Application Form for Diploma and Evidence of Eligibility.

(a)  In accordance with Texas Education Code (TEC), 28.0251, a school district may issue a high school diploma to a person who:

(1)  is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States;

(2)  was scheduled to graduate from high school:

(A)  after 1940 and before 1975; or

(B)  after 1989; and

(3)  left school after completing Grade 6 or higher, but before graduating from high school, to serve in:

(A)  World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, the Iraq War, or the war in Afghanistan; or

(B)  any other war formally declared by the United States, military engagement authorized by the United States Congress, military engagement authorized by a United Nations Security Council resolution and funded by the United States Congress, or conflict authorized by the president of the United States under the War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 United States Code 1541 et seq.).

(b)  A school district may issue a diploma to an eligible veteran notwithstanding the fact that the person holds a high school equivalency certificate or is deceased.

(c)  The Texas Education Agency will develop and make available an application form to be used by a veteran or a person acting on behalf of a deceased veteran. The application form is provided in this subsection entitled "Application for a High School Diploma for Certain Veterans."

Figure: 19 TAC 61.1061(c)

(d)  Acceptable evidence of eligibility for a diploma under TEC, 28.0251, is:

(1)  a completed, signed, and dated application form; and

(2)  a copy of the discharge notification (DD form 214, enlisted record and report of separation, or discharge certificate) from the appropriate branch of the United States armed forces indicating dates of military service.

(e)  The acceptable evidence of eligibility described in subsection (d) of this section must be submitted to the school district where the veteran was enrolled in high school. If the veteran's school district no longer exists (e.g., the district was consolidated into another district), the acceptable evidence must be submitted to the consolidated district, which will be responsible for issuing the high school diploma. In the case of high schools that have experienced consolidation or for some other reason no longer exist, the local school district that assumed the records of the previously existing school will make the determination as to which existing high school will issue the veteran's diploma.

Statutory Authority: The provisions of this 61.1061 issued under the Texas Education Code, 28.0251.

Source: The provisions of this 61.1061 adopted to be effective August 12, 2001, 26 TexReg 5806; amended to be effective June 11, 2006, 31 TexReg 4611; amended to be effective July 12, 2012, 37 TexReg 5132.

For more information, email