Chapter 74. Curriculum Requirements
Subchapter AA. Commissioner's Rules on College Readiness
(a) Purpose. In accordance with the Texas Education Code (TEC), §28.008, the purpose of a college readiness vertical team is to develop or establish standards and expectations designed to ensure that graduates of Texas high schools are able to perform college-level course work at institutions of higher education.
(1) The college readiness vertical team shall be comprised of four subject-specific vertical teams, one each to address English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
(2) Each subject-specific vertical team shall be composed of a minimum of eight and a maximum of 20 members per team who represent:
(A) all levels of secondary public education;
(B) institutions of higher education;
(C) a balance between small and large districts;
(D) various geographic regions of the state; and
(E) the overall demographics of the state.
(3) A maximum of 60% of each subject-specific vertical team's membership shall be composed of faculty from institutions of higher education.
(4) Upon completion of the development of college readiness standards as required in the TEC, §28.008(b)(1), the subject-specific vertical teams shall be reconstituted to include a maximum of 60% secondary public education teachers employed full time in Texas public schools. The reconstituted teams shall complete duties as defined in the TEC, §28.008(b)(2)-(5).
(5) Representatives from each of the four subject-specific vertical teams shall form a leadership team for the purpose of alignment across English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
(1) The commissioner of education shall determine the criteria for selecting public education members for the college readiness vertical team.
(2) The commissioner of education shall solicit recommendations for possible appointees to the college readiness vertical team from the State Board of Education (SBOE), school districts, open-enrollment charter schools, the business community, and educational organizations in Texas. Recommendations may be accepted from any Texas resident. Nominations shall not be made by or accepted from any textbook publishers; authors; depositories; agents for textbook publishers, authors, or depositories; or any person who holds any official position with a textbook publisher, author, depository, or agent.
(3) The SBOE shall be notified of appointments made by the commissioner of education to the college readiness vertical team.
(4) Initial appointments to the college readiness vertical team shall be made no later than January 7, 2007, or as soon as practicable.
(5) Public education members of the college readiness vertical team may be removed or replaced at the discretion of the commissioner of education.
(1) The college readiness vertical team shall carry out the duties as defined in the TEC, §28.008(b).
(2) In accordance with the TEC, §28.008(f), the duties of the college readiness vertical team shall be concluded no later than September 1, 2011.
(3) Members of the subject-specific vertical teams may be required to be present at the SBOE meeting at which standards developed or established by the teams are presented or considered for approval.
Statutory Authority: The provisions of this §74.1001 issued under the Texas Education Code, §28.008.
Source: The provisions of this §74.1001 adopted to be effective January 7, 2007, 31 TexReg 10797.
The list of certifications provided in this paragraph will be recognized for the purpose of accounting for students who earn industry certifications in the public school accountability system for the 2017-2018 school year.
Statutory Authority: The provisions of this §74.1003 issued under the Texas Education Code, §39.001 and §39.053.
Source: The provisions of this §74.1003 adopted to be effective January 3, 2018, 42 TexReg 7686.
For more information, email email@example.com.