TO: All Superintendents
FROM: Adam Jones, Deputy Commissioner Finance and Administration, COO/CIO
DATE: May 18, 2011
SUBJECT: Statewide Education Notification System (SENS) – Spring Update - Testing
As you know, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) delivers time-sensitive and critical notifications to education stakeholders via our emergency notification system, SENS/Communicator! NXT. The TEA will conduct a statewide SENS test in early June 2011. This test will help ensure you know what to expect and how to respond to a SENS notification. In order to receive these messages, please follow the instructions below.
Please take the following actions to find out if you have a SENS account, or to request one, by June 1, 2011.
- Go to this webpage: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/SENSaccount/. Click the link “search through this SENS account listing”. A spreadsheet will open. Look for your name and the names of those in your ISD.
- If your name is there, you have an account and do not need to request one.
- If someone in your ISD is listed in the spreadsheet and you no longer want him or her to have an account, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include the name(s) and we will revoke the access.
- If your name is not in the Excel spreadsheet, fill out the following survey: https://landry.tea.state.tx.us/tea_survey/IS/SENS/sens.htm . Within 24 hours, you will receive your account and login information.
- Identify a designee(s), no more than six, who can act on your behalf or contact you in the event we cannot. Find out if they have an account, as mentioned in Step 1. If they do not, ask them to follow the instructions in Step 2.
- For those with accounts, please enter the secured system, located at https://sens.tea.state.tx.us , and update your contact information.
- The only time you need to enter the SENS is to update your contact information. Please remember to log out when you finish, allowing others to use the system.
The SENS system supplements, not replaces, your existing emergency communication efforts and information you will receive from television, radio, and other sources. Participation in SENS also contributes to the efforts of the Governor’s Division of Emergency Management. They employ the agency to act as their liaison to request your assistance for pre and post-disaster mitigation of known hazards.
If you have any questions about this letter or need a password reset, please send an email to email@example.com. For more information about SENS visit our web page at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/SENS/. Thank you for the work you do to support the students and your fellow citizens of the state of Texas.
Deputy Commissioner Finance and Administration, Chief Operating Officer
Texas Education Agency